TGNCDC Looks To Build On Success With Five Year Strategic Plan
Tower Grove Neighborhoods Community Development Corporation (TGNCDC) was awarded $224,500 in Community Development Block Grants (CDBG) in 2014. In 2015, the combined organization servicing Shaw, Tower Grove South and Southwest Garden neighborhoods, was awarded $120,000. The continuing decline in federally supported community development funding through CDBG programs, 35 million in the 1970’s to 17 million in 2015, has created an inflection point for community development corporations to rethink how we operate and, ultimately, how we survive. Over the past 7 months, the TGNCDC strategic planning committee, with technical assistance provided by RISE (www.risestl.org), discussed and finalized a plan based on the needs of our community, the services we currently perform at a high level, our capacity, partnerships to embrace and our history in the three neighborhoods. A new mission was created, strategies outlined and goals assembled. The TGNCDC board of directors approved the strategic plan on Monday, November 9, 2015.
Our mission is:
Tower Grove Neighborhoods CDC promotes and improves quality of life by attracting public and private investment and providing real estate and other community services.
The three main goal areas are:
- Revitalize and Strengthen the Long-term Stability and Growth of the TGNCDC Service Area (Area-Wide Improvements)…
- .… while focusing particular attention on the Gravois/Chippewa/ South Grand Wedge area (Wedge Target Area)
- Coalition Building (building partnerships to complete work outlined in the Framework and Vision plan but not directly related to our core services)
The strategies to complete the goals are:
1. Real Estate Development and Operations (affordable and market rate, for sale and rental)
2. Tenant Screening and Landlord Training
3. Community Engagement
4. Marketing and Branding
5. Commercial Corridor Improvements
6. Quality of Life Improvements
7. Infrastructure Improvements
8. Neighborhood Beautification
9. Support Resident Services
Please view the strategic plan document (download here) for more detailed information on our goals.
Overall, our intention is to stay true to our mission, create palpable and positive change and to become a financially self- sustaining operation with less emphasis on federal funding. We look forward to continuing our work and we thank you for supporting our efforts.